Tuesday, January 29, 2013

What to eat on a low carb day! Amazing Creations.

Lunch was creeping around the corner and I was thinking of dishes that I could tell my clients about for low carb days.  On days where you do not eat a lot of carbohydrates, you add in foods that are rich in healthy fats.  These omega 3's and unsaturated fats can be great for cholesterol and have proved beneficial to people in Italy and in the Mediterranean who have some of the longest living people in the world!  



I know this isn't the best picture to make this look extremely appetizing, but It was and I promise you will like it too!  Plus don't you enjoy knowing that I really made this dish below instead of pulling pictures off the internet?



This tuna creation is a personal favorite.  When I mix the tuna, I don't add a lot of mayo, only a spoonful or so.  Then to add more flavor and heat, I add either horseradish, wasabi lime mustard I bought at Homegoods, and some fresh herbs and spices.  The shredded carrot on top add a nice crunchy texture and a added sweetness.  I dont know why but shredded carrots taste sweeter to me then regular, but what I do is take 3 or 4 baby carrots and then shred them on top.  Finally, I put them on top of Romaine Lettuce which is a great substitute for bread.  Endive can be another option or red peppers which are high in vitamin C.  Play and have fun!  That's what it is all about.




Brittany has been into making shakes recently.  An application available on the ipad and iphone made by Martha Stewart has given us ideas to build upon.  For breakfast we have 8 oz of either almond milk or 1% milk, a scoop of whey protein powder, a banana which is great for so many things ( see my blog post on bananas at http://davidmartincpt.blogspot.com/2012/11/banana-crazy-eat-your-bananas.html

If you need a little more sweetness, try Agave Nectar, some cocoa powder!  Cocoa Powder has amazing antioxidant properties and can be added to greek yogurt, your smoothies, or on top of your coffee grinds in the morning before you brew!  






No comments:

Post a Comment