Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Swim Intervals and Techniques

Swim Interval Training and Techniques
Workouts in the pool to improve your aerobic endurance


Here it is!  Canterbury Pool!  My home turf.  I loved going there for highschool and Its nice to be here to train for my future events.  The pool was remodeled a couple of years ago and is quite a site.  At the shallow end it is 7' feet deep and 12' at the other.  Our swim team has been doing great this year and with aquatic director Sarah Bednar and coach John Jurkowski, my swimming has gone to a new level

I was so tired!  The first day, I didn't realize that swimming took so much energy out of you!  That was until I realized that swimming is all about form and finding your balance in the water.  Not until John started us on drills with arms straight out and leaning on your sternum and kicking from the hips did I understand this. Then, he would tell me to stop taking my head out of the water so much to breathe during freestyle and to try to keep one goggle under.  My stroke improved, but I began drinking a lot of pool water...not purposefully.  


Swim Practice 2/4/14
by John Jurkowski
1) Warm up 4 100's

2) 4 rounds of 2x25, 1x50, 2x25 
1st round with 10,20,10 rest
2nd round 15,25,15
3rd round 20, 30, 20
4th round 25, 35, 25

3) 4x25 Rest is how long it took you to do 25 yards
    3x50 Rest is how long it took you to do 50 yards
    2x75 Rest is how long it took you to do 75 yards
    1x100 Rest is how long it took you to do 100 yards
    2x75 "
    3x50 "

    4x25 "

We ALWAYS start in the pool with drills, so I believe working on those before you go into training is important.  Doing a couple drills of side swimming or "belly to the wall" is important.  You learn to lean on your armpit and not let your extended arm sink down.  Trying to keep it extended and up is key.  


By swimming on your side and twisting through the water you use less energy and will be able to go farther, faster!  It allows you to use your Lat muscles more, improvement in range of motion of the shoulder, and also allows you to use the upper arm to throw your momentum forward so your not just using your Lats to pull.  You want to twist from the point right above your belly button.  This torpedo motions allows you to travel faster through the water with less resistance. Look at the drill above in the picture and try it out before you start the intervals.  


This picture demonstrates how a forward head position and pushing down on your sternum allows your back legs to come up.  

No comments:

Post a Comment