Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Time Trial Testing

Time Trials
Training using a Time Trial as a Base Measure for Fitness

Fabian Cancellara

It SEEMS like a good idea…let me hop onto my bike and pedal as fast as I can with as much power for 30 minutes…  After, you are pouring sweat and wondering how you will find the motivation to do it again in another 4 weeks. 

The theory behind this is to test your body’s ability to maintain a set speed for a set distance in a great amount of time. 

If it only was as easy as it sounds….

This can be the biggest challenge for an athlete because your head needs to be in the right space, you need to feel physically able to do your best, and in the end you want to show improvement. 

First 10-15 minutes
I spent some time on my trainer warming up and spending short intervals at my time trial pace.  With the help of my Sufferfest video, an online database of training videos that includes a time trial, I spent some time above a 90 cadence to get used to moving at that speed and then recovered to then work on form.  I practiced pulling up on the pedal as well as pushing. The instruction on my laptop screen told me to pretend I was scraping mud off the bottom of my feet. after 5 minutes of a light warm up at 4/10 intensity I was ready to go!

Ready…Set….GO!!!
I think the key is here to not let it all out on the road in your first minute, because after the first 10 minutes you will be left wondering when it will be over.  Eminem’s song Cinderella Man and Not Afraid really help me get pumped for the next couple of minutes.  The screen instructed a cadence of 90 with an effort of 7.5/10.  As I tried to match some of the top riders in the world like Fabian Cancellara, I realized their cadence was sitting up around 100+.   As the riders took corners, I backed off and took advantage of the little rest, then practiced accelerating out and back onto the straight away.  

Analyze!
In the beginning of my last season I had my Lactate Threshold tested at 154.  I was way above this the whole time trial and I could feel it…mentally and physically.  My new Wahoo speed and cadence sensor gave me my stats in terms of how far a biked, my average HR, speed, cadence, and highs and lows. 



I'd Love to see my HR go down next time.  Since my LT is 154, staying up in this range for a longer race will be impossible to maintain. 

So for training, I need to work around my LT in order to build up my aerobic endurance.  A great Interval workout I saw at http://www.training4cyclists.com/ was 3x(3+3) at your LT or VO2 max.  
This means, 3 sets of 3 min at your high intensity with 3 min of recovery.  Recovery periods can be played with, recovery intensity can be altered...and how much time at your intensity can be modified depending on where you are in your training program.  

How important is recovery!?  very important.  After swim practice my swim coach will always make us swim a slow 200 yards as it helps your body absorb the lactate, slowing the heart rate properly, and also during a race, you might be pedaling hard and half way through the course...you won't be able to just stop right?!  



No comments:

Post a Comment