Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Wahoo Speed and Cadence Sensor

Wahoo Speed and Cadence Sensor
Fitting it to my Specialized Roubaix



You know that feeling of getting a new toy and being so excited to set it up and try it out!? I can't explain to you how pumped I was to hook up my new sensor and be able to track speed, cadence, and distance with my new Wahoo Sensor.  I opened up the package, looked at the pieces, and then went to set it up.  IT DIDNT FIT!

Because my Specialized Roubaix has Chain Stays that have a big curvature inwards, any way I set this up the Cadence or the speed wouldn't work.  Either would be too far away and this led to me playing around with my friend Rick to get it to fit.  We tried moving it to the front of the chain stays and then to the back.  We tried flipping the speed sensor upside down but only the cadence worked.  It was a lot of playing around but Rick then had a great idea.  



 This is the cadence sensor that goes around the crank arms.  You have to take the pedal off and then fit the robber around the crank.  We found that it was too far away from the sensor, and as we tipped the sensor forward to get it closer to the crank, the speed sensor which is an "L" design located at the back of the unit, would hit the spokes on my tire!  This part of the unit is adjustable with an allen wrench and we found that it needed to be tightened in order for the speed sensor to start registering.



This was the solution!  TA DA!!!  We used two extra zip ties and instead of putting it around the crank we simply put it against it.  Not so much of an aerodynamic design, but it worked!  Also, the piece to the right that looks like it curves around and down the backside of the chain stay, that was the other problem piece. We ended up using a different magnet that did not come with the kit that was skinner and meant to be fitted on the flat spokes.



So now...the sensor works great!  I can't begin to explain how awesome it is to see my stats on my iphone while I am working out on my bike trainer at home.  My Heart rate, speed, distance, cadence is all listed and at the end of my work outs I get an Ave and a Max of all my stats.  This was a time trial I did for testing.  If I was outside the GPS would have worked as well.  The reason I bought this sensor was so I could use it with my iphone while on the road along with gps.  Just getting accustomed to the roads and routes around my house, It's nice to have a route planed out and directions just like GPS in your car.  

No comments:

Post a Comment